We had a fantastic Spring Camp this year! Check back in early fall 2017 for final details and to register for next year’s Spring Camp. Our dates usually coincide with the Berkeley Unified School District calendar, which for 2018 are April 2-6.
Winner in Parent’s Press Best of the East Bay for years 2014-2016! We’ll have our trademark mix of interesting activities, good old fashioned fun and high quality caring staff. You can register for single days, so it’s easy to either fit in a day of camp around vacation or other school break plans or come for the entire time.
DATES AND HOURS
April 3-7, 2017
Optional Extended Care from
8:00-8:30 and 3:30-6:00
Hours for some youth leader positions are slightly different than camper hours-see below in “Fee Area” for more details
The beautiful space includes: a large community room with a kitchen; indoor classrooms and art spaces; two outdoor play areas, one with climbing structure (think slides and monkey bars), swings, a climbing wall, and sand play; another yard with basketball, field games, jump rope, 4 square and other ball play. We bring hoolahoops and lunastix, for extra fun! The indoors will have board games, blocks, and arts and crafts materials within easy reach of the kids.
There are two groups at Monkey Business Camp:
- Strawberry Banana Group, ages 4 ½ -6, with up to 27 campers.
- Mango Coconut Group, ages 7-10, with up to 18 campers.
Additional Info: Youth leaders, usually between 1-3 total, between ages 11-16, join one of the two groups. All campers hang out together during outside morning free play, lunch, post-lunch play time and afternoon extended care. Otherwise, they are with their smaller age groups. On days with lower enrollment, all campers are together.
We’ll be cooking, sewing, painting, and most importantly, playing together. There is nothing like having time with old and new friends – creating, swinging, digging in the sand, jumping rope, and playing basketball or tag. With caring and enthusiastic adults and youth leaders to lead the way, it’ll be just what we all need.
FEES, DISCOUNTS, AND FINANCIAL AID INFO
Camp Fees (before discounts)
|Basic Day |
|A.M. Care |
|Counselor in Training (CIT)||$75||$0||$17|
|Junior Counselor (JC)*||$35||N/A||$6|
Extended Care Daily Drop-In Once Camp Begins:
Drop-in to am or pm extended care for the fees listed above. There is one additional drop-in option of PM 3:30-4:30 and cost is $10/day for campers and CITs.
- Early Registration Discounts (applied automatically during registration)
- Basic Day: by January 15th get $15/day off; By February 15th get $10/day off; By March 15th get $5/day off.
- Extended Care: By March 27th, get $2/day off on a.m. care and $5/day off on p.m. care.
- Other Discounts (find and enter code on registration page)
- Sibling/Multiple Day: Register for 8 or more days of any 2016-2017 school break camps (Winter, February or Spring) for $10/day off. This can be shared by siblings, for example two siblings attending for four days each. Enter special code “MonkeyFun” for each of your children while registering.
- Discounts CAN be combined!
*No discounts apply to JC fees, which are already steeply discounted.
Other Financial Aid
- No Fee Payment Plans offered at the payment page
- To apply for financial aid, visit here
- Click on FAQs and Policies links above for more details: the camp daily schedule, refund policy, food allergy information, etc.
- Campers bring their own lunch and morning snack. We provide afternoon snack for extended care PM campers. We are a nut and nut butter free camp, to help keep our campers safe.
- We require campers to be able to operate within our ratio of 1:9, so if your child has medical, behavioral or emotional needs that will need additional coaching or support, please contact our office, as we might be able to welcome your camper with the support of an aide/coach.
- A link with camp information will be included in your confirmation, and you will receive via e-mail a final update the Wednesday before camp begins.
Click here to see bios and photos. The staffing list will be updated as enrollment develops.
We welcome youth leaders to help out at camp! Counselors in Training (CITs) are 11 years and older and either attended as a camper or new to our camp; Junior Counselors (JCs) are former CITs with our camp, age 14 and older, who love being a youth leader. Any CIT or JC new to the Berkwood Hedge School site must have attended the Youth Leader orientation on Sunday, Dec 18th, from 10:30am-12:30pm at the school. This training will qualify CIT or JCs new to school break camps to volunteer for the winter, Feb and Spring Break Camps.
Minimum enrollment for youth leaders is 2 days of camp. We appreciate enrollments of more than 2 days and in consecutive order, to provide consistency for the youth leaders, staff and campers.
Single day registration is not an option for Youth Leaders.